[TYPO3-english] mongodb?

horace grant horace3d at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 15:08:42 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Martin Aarhof
<martinprikaarhof at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 20-06-2013 14:23, horace grant wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Philipp Gampe <philipp.gampe at typo3.org>
>> **wrote:
>>
>>  Hi horace,
>>>
>>> horace grant wrote:
>>>
>>>  i know it's more a theoretical question... i am just curious
>>>>

>>> Two things come to mind:
>>> a) Does it support auto-increment like mysql (pretty much any PHP up
>>> makes
>>> use of this)?
>>>

>> yes, i think so. tough i am not sure i understand why you would need this
>> besides mongodb's default primary key _id field (which is quite cool since
>> the hash also contains the creation date).
>>

>>  b) How many hoster support this?
>>>

>> yes, that's the problem. with cheap shared hosting you always are pretty
>> much limited to php+mysql. that's a pity because there are so many other
>> nice technologies i would like to work with like django, meteor,...
>>

>>  c) How to you expect the compat layer to works such that it also works in
>>> mysql, oracle, etc?
>>>

> With real Doctrine models/documents then it could be done.
> But it will lose all backward compat.
>

>> don't know. :)
>>

>>  d) Does doctrine support this?
>>>

>> yes, doctrine seems to have support for mongodb.
>>

> If TYPO3 7.0 only will use Doctrine DBAL then MongoDB is a no go.
> DBAL does not support MongoDB.
>
> If TYPO3 7.0 will use the whole Doctrine ODM and ORM then MongoDB could be
> used with a special mongo session handler.
>
> My-/Postgre-/MS-/etc SQL and Mongo/CouchDB/etc are two very different
> approaches to "databases".
>
> What I would much more like is something like
> RedBean http://redbeanphp.com/
>
> This can connect to all SQL databases (PDO), but you dont need to
> create/update tables.
>
> $book = R::dispense('book');
> $book->title = 'Gifted Programmers';
> R::store($book);
>
> Boom, now our table book have a title row.
>
> $book = R::dispense('book');
> $book->title = 'New book';
> $book->created = new DateTime();
> R::store($book);
>
> Boom, now our table book have a created row (with the correct datetime
> field, and not those ugly int fields)

readbean looks nice. thanks for sharing. i will check it out...

that's what i also like about django. django uses SQL by default (but there
also is django-nonrel) and you just have to define the model, the tables
always can get adapted automatically then. with php frameworks this feature
doesn't seem to be that common.

but this still isn't quite the same as with a schema-less database, since
with SQL the whole table has to have the same fields.

with mongoDB i imagine a content_element collection and in it you could
have very different kinds of content elements, without wasting unused
fields.

cheers,
horace