[TYPO3-english] Page template selection TV-style without TV

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Tue Jun 18 20:28:01 CEST 2013

Am 18.06.2013 20:11, schrieb Jan Bednarik:
> Hi all,
>
> reading that TV is about to retire, which is truly sad news, I started
> to remember old days when I did websites without TV and it made me
> realize that I will miss quite a lot. Another thread provides clues how
> to deal with missing FCEs (GridElements), but what I don't know is how
> to give user selection of page templates.
>
> Let's say I have a few page templates (one for homepage, different for
> subpages, some without menu, whatever) and I'd like to give users option
> to choose whichever template they want.

Usually this can be done with a combination of backend and frontend layouts.
While backend layouts resemble the basic structure of a page in the
first place, they can still be connected to a frontend layout as well.
You can set a particular layout for a page or just use "backend layout
on next level" to set it for a whole branch.

Together with the "layout" switch, that existed long before backend
layouts came up, you can setup quite a lot of different variants so
people can select different views on top of a backend layout.

The output can be done with a few lines of TypoScript making use of
levelfield, override and CASE. This will typically set some classes to
the body tag and/or major containers, while the rest is done with the
usual CSS.

HTH

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian