[TYPO3-english] Releasing TYPO3 6.2 LTS under GPL Version 3

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Mon Jun 17 07:59:42 CEST 2013

Hi

I have some more thoughts why TYPO3 6..2.0 Final should be released
actually as TYPO3 7.0 LTS!

   1. The TYPO3 6.2 LTS / TYPO3 7.0 LTS Version would be in place for a
   couple of years and during this time hopefully NEOS will get a bit more
   mature to be used by a bigger crowd as right now!
   2. The TYPO3 6.2 LTS / TYPO3 7.0 LTS Version is starting a new area in
   many ways as many things which were working before Version 6 or before
   Version 6.2 even are no more working like before! The Code of many
   extensions needs to be changed anyway and those extensions could be
   rereleased under GPLv3 too to be again full compatible with TYPO3 6.2 LTS /
   TYPO3 7.0 LTS
   3. Extension Developers, Designers, Packagers and Integrators who wold
   like to get their stuff also being easier to use or transferable to NEOS
   when it would be ready would benefit from the change to GPLv3.

@Georg

I am aware that the relicensing is not easy, but NOW is the right time do
ask all those contributors incl. myself, if they are OK with the switch to
GPLv3.

This could be done either in written, email to contact the people or
perhaps even in adding a field in the extension repository or git like you
do already with the contributor license!

BUT it has to be separate from this contributor license which quite a lot
of people not will sign.

You could set a timeframe until people need to answer the request. IMHO Now
is the time in doing this and simply creating a MAJOR Version TYPO3 7.0 LTS
out of Typo3 6.2 to make the change also very visible to the public!

Andi