[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.2 which Extensions will still work?

Andreas Becker cocopapa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 06:33:24 CEST 2013

Dear Georg

You can do what you want but you have to respect that the current mix of all kind of CSS approaches and custom made redundancies is blowing up CSS and JS files tremendously. Very often you read here that developers like to develop their stuff fast. If now every extension would has one base for their CSS we would have a great way to share not only template modifications easily but also to customize and learn how to customize easily. We could even build perhaps an extension doing it so that this customization process would need no coding.

My focus is usability for people who are using the CMS and not for those who want to create dependent customers because custom made stuff has been used over and over. You could do this anyway.

By the way I am just starting bootstrap and never used it before, but as you could read here on the list ALL future approaches like gridelements or fluid, themes, Fabiens bootstrap  and there is even a TV bootstrap out there too are using bootstrap as it provides and very easy way to create nice looking responsive and mobile friendly websites. It would be nice if we would have even a bootstrap backend which resizes nicely in the backend on tabs i.e. which often have different screen sizes.

Standardization of reusable things will help TYPO3 to reach out to a much greater customer base and the side effect is also that it will be much much easier to learn and to setup websites with TYPO3.

Simply think about why people like to use YAML or BOOTSTRAP or "framework"!
Unfortunately Yaml has a license issue to be integrated in TYPO3. Bootstrap provides at least the same functionality and is maintained by a much bigger community.

For now it seems that for the first time in TYPO3 the major Templating Engines and Approaches start using Bootstrap so why don't make this the default for extensions too?

Than you could simply install and extension instantly with your theme instead of deleting or overwriting hundreds of custom CSS entries from the extension maker. The same applies to the way of using Less or Sass etc. I used SASS until now but learn meanwhile LESS as it is actually very very easy and nice and Bootstrap is based on it.

There will be also a tv-framework Version 2 skin using LESS and Bootstrap instead of the default SASS way. Simply to make templates easier to exchange with others.

Another approach could be to have a setting in TYPO3 which disables ALL Extension Css and JS files by default at once with one simply click or setting and than you could ENABLE those you like or non and use some of the Themes Extension CSS Repository to make your site looking nicely and with a much more reduced CSS.

On Themes a CSS Repository could be created where authors could offer there Extension CSS for free or a fee. So you could download i.e. a bootstrap conform CSS for a specific extension and by reusing all this already done CSS and other "T3-LEGO" Parts you will speed up the process of your own development. And it will be much easier to calculate prices to and you could earn additionally in providing you custom extension CSS as a reference for your quality work or for a fee.

using a standardized approach in the extension too will simply help to have much more fun with TYPO3 without loosing the ability to do it complete differently.

Andi

Sent from my iPad