[TYPO3-english] the future of FCEs in TYPO3

Domi djgarms at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 02:39:40 CEST 2013

Good Morning,

I would like to bring up a question which was bugging me for quite some
time. Because there is a lot of discussion going on about TemplaVoila
and the future of TYPO3.

I guess one of the main benefits which brought TV in the past was the
very nice handling of the backend, which was looking very similar to the
frontend layout - page layout and content elements. For pages the
backend_layout was introduced long time ago which brings this feature
more likely into the core and I would say this replaces one of the
features of TV.

Then there comes the nice FCE handling in TV, which every editor loved
because custom content elements where easy to use. Now I am concerned
about this feature, because there are in my opinion two extensions
battling doing the exact same thing: gridelements and fluidcontent.

In fluidcontent there is one html file responsible for everything: the
backend layout and the frontend rendering. All what needs to be done is
to point to the folder where all the content element html-files are
stored - with one single line of typoscript and knowledge about fluid
and flux - both well documented at http://fedext.net/viewhelpers.html

In gridelements there are multiple actions necessary for building one
fce. Backend actions, then typoscript configuration and in the end the
html file.

For the creation of one FCE the I spent at least 3-4 times longer doing
the same thing with gridelements instead of fluidcontent.

Over 1.5 - 2 years ago for me as a web developer I need to decide which
tool I want to use for my websites. As fluidcontent (previous fed) was
further developed I choosed fluidcontent and don't want to miss it.

What I am concerned off is, that there are two extensions doing the same
stuff: building flexible content elements which are very easy to use for
editors. For the editor both created elements look identical, only the
details in coding are different.

Exact that time - 1.5 or 2 years ago (I had some frustration in TV) I
checked out Drupal - which had this flexible content building in version
< 7 as community extension, from version 7 inside the core: it called
CCK- content construction kit. There you have inside the admin a form
where you build super easy content elements. I guess this is one of the
key-killer-functions why Drupal was getting so huge because this feature
was really neat and easy to use.

I would like to see something similar for TYPO3 inside the core. One way
to build flexible content elements, because its a key feature for an
easy to use CMS system. I know that there were rumours that gridelements
would find its way into the core - if I am not mistaken it was TYPO3
version 4.6, but not sure about it.

Why we don't collect some key features of both extensions and try to
bring them into the core? The huge community behind TV and the huge
community of Drupal shows, that flexible content elements are a "must
have" for a CMS system. If the development time of both extensions would
get merged into one extension, there would be several benefits: faster
development, less bugs and maybe improving features like backend CRUD
with click and joy handling.

All I would like to see in my beloved CMS: one proved and stable way of
creating flexible content elements, that my editors build easy and
frontend-save content. Because "content is king" (not sure why but I can
say this a lot of times during one day).

I would vote for the extbase / fluid way for building FCE's. There must
be a way why this framework found its way into the core and for me it
was the only reason why I continued stick to TYPO3 and didn't moved to
Drupal two years ago. Also the connection to Neos would be ...

All the best,
Dominic