[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.2 which Extensions will still work?

Muriel le Pair typo3 at strangefruit.nl
Mon Jun 10 18:00:25 CEST 2013

On 10-06-13 15:56, Georg Ringer wrote:
> Am 10.06.2013 15:49, schrieb Muriel le Pair:
>> That same argument will apply to at least 50% of the core functionality.
>> Yet I can't remember ever building a site without a news like system or
>> the need for real url's.
>
> even though it is getting a bit OT but yes this decission is a really
> hard one.
> Still: Having extensions not in core also means that e.g. features don't
> need to wait for 6 months to be available, ... so there are also
> advantages for not having a sysexts, never forget that.

That might just to be true. In my experience in general bugs in the core
are fixed much faster. My frustration with a lot of the major extensions
is that currently if finally 1 bug is resolved and 10 other occur. What
makes updates very time consuming and us reluctant to update.

> This is fully understanded by everyone bug again: It needs a group of
> maintainers or at least one of them.
>
> And many extensions are created and supported by active contributes, so
> there isn't too much difference anyway.

Yes there is a mayor difference in quality anyway.

> Regarding news: maybe you wanna look at
> http://forge.typo3.org/projects/extension-news as it is not only
> completly rewritten in extbase and fluid but also well tested using
> unit-tests, having features which are not available in tt_news and IMO
> all which are in tt_news included as well. It is very hard to do but
> this extension works from 4.5 to 6.2 if PHP 5.3 is used.

I know. I used it a couple of times. It's certainly a positive
exception. Bug are fixed exceptionally fixed fast, so I'm not
complaining. But at the same time it lacks some features needed so that
you can use it in all most every situation where you need a news like
system with a teaser and click to the full article.

--
kind regards,

Muriel le Pair