[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.2 which Extensions will still work?

Georg Ringer mail at ringerge.org
Mon Jun 10 15:56:20 CEST 2013

Am 10.06.2013 15:49, schrieb Muriel le Pair:
> That same argument will apply to at least 50% of the core functionality.
> Yet I can't remember ever building a site without a news like system or
> the need for real url's.

even though it is getting a bit OT but yes this decission is a really
hard one.
Still: Having extensions not in core also means that e.g. features don't
need to wait for 6 months to be available, ... so there are also
advantages for not having a sysexts, never forget that.

> But that's exactly my point. TYPO3 works great as long you can stick to
> the core, but as soon as you need a third party extension it immediately
> becomes tricky due to the poor quality of a lot of them. Therefore
> important extensions like news, realurl, a mail system etc should be
> part of the core.

This is fully understanded by everyone bug again: It needs a group of
maintainers or at least one of them.

And many extensions are created and supported by active contributes, so
there isn't too much difference anyway.

Regarding news: maybe you wanna look at
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/extension-news as it is not only
completly rewritten in extbase and fluid but also well tested using
unit-tests, having features which are not available in tt_news and IMO
all which are in tt_news included as well. It is very hard to do but
this extension works from 4.5 to 6.2 if PHP 5.3 is used.

Georg