[TYPO3-english] A black day for the TYPO3 community

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sun Jun 9 20:16:36 CEST 2013

Hi,

Although I posted to the German list too, this post is in English
because I simply lack the language skills to express my feelings in the
right words in German (I can read and understand it quite well and can
express myself in daily, casual conversations). It would be nice if
someone could translate.

Tolleiv Nietsch announced in various places that he would stop
maintaining the extension TemplaVoilà. Discussion about this decision
can take place in the typo3.projects.templavoila list, please. This post
is about what happened at the TYPO3 Camp Stuttgart.

After the news reached t3cs part of the crowd started cheering. A
reaction I can't understand; something shameful, unacceptable,
appalling, even disgusting. Next, I can't understand why nobody stood up
to tell these people that this is unacceptable and disrespectful behaviour.

Someone said that it wasn't about the maintainer, whom most even didn't
know, but about the product. This almost makes it worse; is it okay
because you don't know the person who spend a lot of time and energy in
maintaining an extension that was used by many, that is still used a
lot? If you don't like a product you can simply not use it.

Today I am ashamed to be part of a community of which a group of members
responds in such a manner.
To the people who cheered: if you agree that this behaviour is not
acceptable, step forward and have the decency to make a sincere apology.
If you think that your behaviour was acceptable, I really don't think
you should be part of this community.
To organisers of events: if this happens during your event, it is in my
mind your moral obligation to act against such misbehaviour.

I really hope that this was a one-time event and that we don't have to
witness this ever again.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor