[TYPO3-english] Typoscript non-latin characters not saving

David Cumberbeach typo3.newsgroup at cumberbeach.com
Wed Jul 24 03:48:02 CEST 2013

I'm trying to setup a language selection menu with English and Korean.
I'd like to render the "Korean" menu item/label in Korean (therefore not
in latin characters).

So far though, when I paste the characters into the template setup, they
appear to paste correctly, but when the template setup is re-opened the
characters have not saved correctly and appear instead as question marks
("???"). The menu item appears this way in the front end also.

Does TYPO3 support utf-8 or non-latin characters in typoscript?

Using TYPO3 4.7.12
I have the database character set & collation as UTF-8 unicode.
localconf.php has the following
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setDBinit'] = 'SET NAMES utf8;'.chr(10).'SET
SESSION character_set_server=utf8;';
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['forceCharset'] = 'utf8';

Here's my language menu setup:
lib.langMenu = HMENU
lib.langMenu {
   special = language