[TYPO3-english] [Typo3-English] Make Backup's

Richard Davies richard at ocular.co.nz
Wed Jul 24 00:59:25 CEST 2013

Hi Miguel,

There will be some extensions to facilitate the process, however a backup
of the database would be (mostly) fine. Cached pages, news, etc shouldn't
cause an issue since they will be copied with the database. The one place
that can cause an issue is typo3conf/

   - fileadmin - must be the synced but only changes when files are uploaded
   - typo3conf/
      - temp_CACHED files - either they must be copied or the cache in
      Typo3 must be cleared before the backup site is used
      - ext - must be synced however as it holds extensions it would not be
      changing much (only on import and update of extensions)
      - extTables.php - must be synced, won't change much
      - realurl autoconfiguration (or other configuration files from
      extensions) - must be synced however shouldn't change much
      - l1on - holds language files, must by synced. I don't work with them
      but I understand they don't change much once a site is set up
      - localconf.php or LocalConfiguration.php - this is the problem file.
      This file must be copied. When configuration changes are made to
extensions
      those changes are saved in this file. This file also holds the database
      credentials. If your database credentials are different on each server,
      these details must be changed in some way so the backup server gets the
      correct data.
      - typo3temp - does not have to be synced as the files will be
   regenerated
   - uploads - must be synced

You will also have to copy the php session folder if load balancing/want
sessions to continue. You'll see that if you wanted two servers sharing a
database it would be relatively easy to set up multiple Typo3 sites.

Can someone chime in if I've missed anything?
Richard