[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.x caches and performance best practices for productive site

Domi djgarms at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 11:37:07 CET 2013

Hello Andreas and Christian,

> - Make sure t3lib_cs_convMethod and t3lib_cs_utils use mbstring or iconv
> (see install tool).
Thanks I never was checking on this two options. Will set it to mbstring
because this post says it should be faster:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090221171406/http://dokeoslead.wordpress.com/2008/10/05/mbstring-vs-iconv-benchmarking/

> - If you're using extbase with bigger domain models, make sure to use
> lazy loading where possible. If done right, its fully transparent. If
> not done, it can easily lead to thousands of db requests. A good
> indicator is to enable mysql logging (on your development system) and
> see which db calls are fired.
Thanks for the hint. My extbase extensions weren't fired on the pages
where I did my testings. But for sure I need to keep an eye on it.

> - Try to configure some caches to reduce number of db queries. For
> example the extbase 'object' cache can get quite a number of db calls
> per request, but it is not very big in size and uses no tagging. Thus,
> it is a good candidate to switch it to APC cache if you are using apc
> and have some little free mb in there.

> Most important: Throw a profiler like xhprof or cachegrind to one of
> your calls and find out about your bottleneck.
I am using the profiler of xDebug inside of PhpStorm and also a
visualization with cachegrind. The most I could read out with my little
knowledge is, that there are tons of DB queries which get handled on
each page uncached. But it was hard to read, which one is the main
trouble maker...

> In general, performance tuning usually means to find the *big* thing
> first and fix it. Often, the biggest issue (whatever it is) takes maybe
> 80% of your rendering time, so fixing it will give you a factor of five.
> All other things are minor until then.
The biggest things I figured out till now where the DB queries for my
main menu and all 9 content sections, which getting called via the
styles.content.get.

Is there anything you guys do, that all pages getting regularly crawled
that every page is cached?

Thanks for all the useful information.

Dominic