[TYPO3-english] Current Documentation format

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Feb 15 21:53:30 CET 2013

Hi Dirk,

> IMHO the lack of fancy styling is not an issue but an advantage. The new
> pages do load as fast as hell and using the search field of the browser
> shouldn't be too difficult.

The pages load fast because it's all static HTML.

> But I'm concerned that the extension documentation rendered on
> docs.typo3.org seems to be quite outdated. For an extension which I
> updated several times during this week it still shows a version from
> 2013-01-29.

Weird. Although the process is not final yet, it is fully automated, so
this shouldn't happen. Could you maybe open an issue there:

http://forge.typo3.org/projects/tools-rest/issues

specifying the problematic extension?

> Since I don't like using SWX at all (due to the painful editing process
> and the unpredictable result of the rendering) I would prefer using ReST
> from now on. It shouldn't be to expensive to grab any ReST-manual from
> an extension and put it to the new location. Every developer could
> easily point to this place in an stub SXW-document than. This link could
> even be rendered automatically...

I'm not sure exactly how the current rendering script works now, but it
should normally detect ReST-based documentation automatically if it's
located in a folder called "Documentation", which is expected to contain
an Index.rst file (which either contains everything or has references to
further files).

> BTW: thank you for working on the new documentation : )

You're welcome. It seems it's meeting with a rather general approval.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter