[TYPO3-english] ImageMagick 6.8.0-10 2012-12-16 Q16 + TYPO3 V6.X too dark images

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Tue Feb 5 01:14:18 CET 2013

Hey,

cross posting to dev-list, please follow-up there.

On 02/05/2013 12:08 AM, Philipp Gampe wrote:
>> Is anybody aware of the fact that using the bleeding edge version of
>> ImageMagick 6.8.0-10 (build date: 2012-12-16) with TYPO3 V6.X results
>> generates too dark images?
>
> IM changed their API again ... :(
>
> There is a patch pending for this:
> https://review.typo3.org/#/c/17474/

Yes. I've talked with Anja about this issue, and until now I didn't vote
on it for the following reasons:

* I don't like that some additional setting needs to be done to get it
right again. imho, the code should handle it internally (read: take
correct path by checking im version). But, if its done internally and
released as bugfix, this means that all images will change during
upgrading (they are technically more correct than before, but they *do*
change). This might not be exactly cool for some people, especially if
released as bugfix for 4.5.

* We might release the patch for 6.1 only (and *maybe* 6.0), but then
there will be no good choice for instances of 4.7 and below ...

* If there is an additional config setting, there should be logic to at
least choose some sane default during install process.

I'm personally unsure on how to proceed in this case ... the current
patch itself is obvious and works, but ... is it the best way to handle
this API change of im?

Regards
Christian