[TYPO3-english] Bye-bye OpenOffice, welcome ReST

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Aug 26 09:47:17 CEST 2013

Hi,

> François Suter wrote:
>> And yes, I certainly expect developers to be happier with reST than
>> OpenOffice. Once they get over their resistance to change ;-)
>
> This is the view from just one side and for the doc team it is obviously
> an advantage :) I asked what advantages extension authors will have. I
> still do not see any.
>
> In my opinion there only two ways to make people do something:
> #1: force them (never gives good results)
> #2: show them why they would love it
>
> I do not see #2 yet.

Read my post. If you don't see any you may:

1) Try to see if you like it
2) Wait for people telling they like it (or not) or for "visible" pros
using ReST (like an obviously better integration in typo3.org) and
decide then if you want to go for 1)
3) Stick to what you know and like

Every solution is fine, I won't try to convince you more than I already
did as I respect anyone preferring a WYSIWYG editor to write documentation.

As said, nobody plans to drop support for OpenOffice. It's not perfect
but works and many people are used to it, why would we want to drop
that? We offer (in our eyes) better alternatives. If you want to jump in
and join us, great! if not, if you want to wait a bit or simply not
switch at all, fine.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers