[TYPO3-english] Your feedback with Sphinx/ReStructuredText

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Thu Apr 25 12:07:32 CEST 2013

Dear TYPO3 community,

I'd like to advertise (again) two extensions targeted at helping you
maintaining and using Sphinx for your own documentation (either related
to your own extensions or for your products/tutorials/...).

These extensions are:

- restdoc [1] to integrate your Sphinx/ReStructuredText documentation
within your website

- sphinx [2] to kickstart and build Sphinx projects on your TYPO3
webserver, without the hassle of setting up Python on your own machine

Extension restdoc is already used on about 50 websites I'd say according
to the stable number of downloads with each new version.

Extension sphinx is still alpha quality and has been previously
announced in the TYPO3 documentation mailing list. However I guess only
a few people interested and actively contributing to the documentation
are actually reading this mailing list, this is the reason why I posted
here.

Your feedback would be highly appreciated first to know if you find
these projects useful for yourself, to know if "it works" for you as
well, and if not under which conditions, if you miss some features that
you consider highly needed, etc.

For the background story, extensions sphinx and restdoc can be seen as
"service" extensions, bringing Sphinx support to your TYPO3 environment.
This could let you rely on them, e.g., to create a nice Backend text
editor and let people work on files, compiling while saving and showing
a "preview" of the compiled documentation.

Anyway, I hope these extensions will be useful and am looking forward to
gathering feedback.

Kind regards

[1] http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/restdoc
[2] http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/sphinx