[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0.0Beta2 and TemplaVoila

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Wed Sep 19 14:51:36 CEST 2012

Hi Andi,

> @Roberto: TemplaVoila is an Extension - because it is not belonging to the
> core - and therefore it is an error caused by an extension. But only
> because things in core got changed without informing I guess those who
> build or maintain those major extensions like templavoila or the framework
> for templavoila and other frameworks using the same classes. Thousands of
> websites are build on templavoila and those frameworks.

Tolleiv, leader of TemplaVoilà is an active member of the TYPO3 Core
Team, meaning you can be sure he *knows* about changes in Core with 6.0
and is certainly willing to make TemplaVoilà compatible with 6.0 until
the final release, he may even (but I don't know, just a guess) have
been mandated by larger companies to work on this, if not, this is also
how open source work, as you certainly know.

> In the current form the core is pre alpha state! Sorry.

Beta is not meant to be production-ready, it means it is "usable" and
above all feature-complete but certainly not bug-free. We all expect a
beta to be really usable and not usually crash with fatal errors but as
said, the whole point of the beta is to freeze the addition of features
and concentrate on fixing bugs.

With beta comes the time to fix bugs until RC, this also means that it's
a good time for 3rd-party developers that do not want to risk fixing
things while features are not yet implemented or things may still vary a
bit to take finally time to make sure their extension is ready for the
upcoming TYPO3 version.

TemplaVoilà is not part of the Core but we all know, within the Core
Team, that it's an essential part of so many websites around the world.
With 6.0 we took the opportunity to include real breaking changes, we
tried our best to provide a compatibility layer but it was not always
possible. However making an extension compatible with 6.0 should not be
*that* complicated.

I can understand your frustration not being able to *use* TYPO3 6.0
right now with your websites but as already pointed out, this is still a
beta so it's not funny, I agree, but that's how it is for the time
being, I'm sure TemplaVoilà and other widely used extensions will get
upgraded in time for the release of 6.0 and if not, you just will have
to wait maybe 1-2 weeks to get it (for the vast majority of "smaller"
extensions I guess) and it's not a big deal either I'd say.

Kind regards and thanks for your involvement in the TYPO3 community

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!