[TYPO3-english] worried about 4.x (6.x)

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sat Oct 13 11:31:19 CEST 2012

Hi Thomas,

> That doesn't matter. As long as community extensions are needed for
> basic scaffolding within the CMS, they are of same importance as the
> core itself - at least in the real world. To name a few: Url-Management,
> News system, powerful templating. Ease of templating alway was one motor
> of success for TYPO3, and for many integrators this part is getting
> harder and harder with any new (sub)release. Surely I could offer
> websites without FCE functionality. Nobody needs an accordion, it only
> builds up barriers. I know that, you know that. But will the next client
> know that too? Should I learn Joomla just to serve people with a need
> for accordions? No way. Don't like the idea.

You're right, but the topic is far from simple. It was discussed quite a
few times during Core Team meetings and we never got to an agreement.
What everybody agreed on was that there were some extensions that
provided essential features (exactly the ones you name) and that would -
ideally - be given special care. That's where we couldn't agree. Should
they be move to the Core? Should they be cared for by special teams,
that include Core Team members?

The fact is that the Core Team is already very busy. I don't think it
would be possible to handle even more work. Furthermore, as Georg says,
he quite enjoys the freedom to evolve at a different rate than TYPO3
releases. But I agree that it feels weird that such basic features like
speaking URLs and easy/easier templating are not part of the Core.

I use TV on all my projects. I do have the need for FCEs, I like the
easier/visual templating and I couldn't live without references (a
feature not often mentioned, but which is - for me - a show-stopper for
the traditional Page module). TV usability is simply far superior.
However its use of XML for storage is really bad. I wasn't in the Core
Team when the decision was taken not to integrated TV, but this must
have been a killer. I would love to have proper database relations.

But while I would love to see these improvements come to the traditional
Page module (and hence - maybe - the Core), it's a huge amount of work.
In the meantime TV still works and is still supported. And Neos comes
with built-in routing (speaking URLs) and the promise of customizable
content elements (mentioned in Robert's keynote at T3CON12).

So I don't think the future looks as bleak as you say, but maybe I
misunderstood some points.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter