[TYPO3-english] worried about 4.x (6.x)

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sat Oct 13 10:59:28 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 13-10-2012 1:43, Denyer wrote:
> And the more I think about it, the more it seems there is a "Core" and
> "Community" division, with some magic line between the two.
>
> Maybe there lies a deeper issue? Maybe it's just me, I don't know. It's
> been an odd week.

What is this magic line? There really isn't one, or at least there
shouldn't be one.
The Core Team has the right to merge patches, but that has simply to do
with maintaining code quality (and brings some responsibilities too).
There are other areas where people have "special" rights. The security
team handles issues invisible to the rest of the community. This is
quite obvious. The security team consists of various people from the
entire community.

The entire community can contribute in various ways. If you're a
programmer you can push patches to Gerrit, you can vote for patches in
Gerrit (you only need a typo3.org account).

Anyone can submit issues to forge, test them, add comments, etc. Only
for closing you need someone with the rights to do this. A simple
message in typo3.teams.bugs is enough to trigger someone to do this.

Maybe there is a tendency with team members of any TYPO3 related team to
accept decisions of other teams? I myself wouldn't have picked ReST as
format for documentation, but the documentation team has thoroughly
looked into various formats and so far they have made great progress in
setting up an environment for documentation which can be rendered in
many ways, which can use a versioning system for changes and can easily
be used to render documentation for different branches.
I don't like the colour orange at all, but I think the marketing,
branding, design people have the expertise to make such decisions.

There is a division between people who do and people who only consume
and yet demand a lot.
The first category has an itch an tries to do something about it. If
they can't do it themselves they find the right people and start a change.
The second category mainly talks about things that are absolutely vital
for them, that it should really be changed (by others) and that it's
unacceptable that it hasn't been done yet.

The first category is less visible, because they use direct
communication and get results.

What's your impression?

--
Jigal van Hemert