[TYPO3-english] worried about 4.x (6.x)

Denyer denyer at sozu.co.uk
Sat Oct 13 01:41:15 CEST 2012

> > Sorry don't really understand that? Fed, Flux, TV, gridelements are all
> > from the community and not the core.

>  That doesn't matter. As long as community extensions are needed for
> basic scaffolding within the CMS, they are of same importance as the
> core itself - at least in the real world. To name a few: Url-Management,
> News system, powerful templating. Ease of templating alway was one motor
> of success for TYPO3, and for many integrators this part is getting
> harder and harder with any new (sub)release.

I have to +1 this from Thomas. I was trying to explain how templating
works in TYPO3 today to a colleague, after he asked "What would I see if I
installed the Dummy package, then?".
Turns out this question is not an easy one to answer. It's full of "You
could use TemplateVoila, which has X problems..." and "You could use FED,
which has Y problems..." or "You could just use this Fluid thing, and
ExtBase, which has as much English documentation as the Russian Space
Program..."

Not a solid conversation you can use to win other (cynical) developers
over to the platform, despite the fact that even in the face of these
challenges TYPO3 is still one of (if not) the most potent PHP CMS's out
there.

An ideal world would have TV's FCE power, with portability, workspaces,
translation, drag&drop, a template cutting / mapping tool (Mentioned
elsewhere) *and* some support from the core as much as to say "OK, you can
template in TYPO3 many ways, but this way is supported by Core, documented
by careful professionals and isn't going away because the lead on the
project lost his motivation to work on it.

The thought of using a community mod as the fundamental basis for
templating within the CMS (Talking about TV here) has always seemed oddly
fragile to me, and looking toward FED seems little different.

I'm just completing my first FED site. I miss parts of TV (Convenient
mapping, simple FCE setup, well integrated page module). I know if I
rebuilt in TV, I'd miss some parts of FED (Namely being able to upload
amended HTML without remapping, and being able to redeploy everything to a
new site via a container extension).

I could only conceive that a TemplaVoiFluid hybrid, with the guarantees
that being part of the core project provides, would bring a great deal of
peace to many. I too am very, very nervous about the next 12-18 months.
I've used TYPO3 for building client sites for a long time now, and being
unable to see a clear path makes me itchy.

I just pray I don't end up using Drupal ;)