[TYPO3-english] worried about 4.x (6.x)

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Oct 9 14:18:41 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 9-10-2012 12:39, Stefano Cecere wrote:
> am i the only one who would like every core developer, documentator,
> translator, bug fixer, concentrated in just one product, TYPO3, leaving
> all non CMS components to other communities?

Maybe there is some confusion in your mind, but there are no non CMS
components currently developed or supported by TYPO3.

TYPO3 CMS (formerly TYPO3) consists of a framework plus CMS components.
You can see this in the Extension Manager as you find system extensions
such as 'cms', 'sv', 'lang', etcetera.

Neos is being developed by the same people who develop Flow as the new
cms application.

Flow is the framework upon which Neos is developed. It has a name of its
own and can also be used without Neos for projects.

Fluid is the new templating engine. It is also included in TYPO3 CMS and
maintained by both the people who develop Flow/Neos and the developers
of TYPO3 CMS.

Extbase is a backport of Flow and is included as a system extension in
CMS. Bugfixes in Flow are ported to Extbase and bugfixes in Extbase to
Flow (if appropriate). Extbase is an important tool to make the
transition to Neos easier for developers.

The developers of all these parts of TYPO3 work together in one team.
Some do more with one part, others more with another part. We could of
course use more resources, but that is true for any project and any team.
At the moment there are more people working on TYPO3 CMS (4.x/6.x) than
on Flow and Neos. In the future this will of course change, simply
because at some point in the future Neos will be the main cms application.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!