[TYPO3-english] worried about 4.x (6.x)

Thomas Skierlo pubtsk1 at pix-pro.eu
Tue Oct 9 13:14:40 CEST 2012

Hello Stefano,

no, you are not the only one who is worried about TYPO3. Over many years
TYPO3 was a perfect base for integrators to build up powerful websites.
Most extensions worked properly up to the 4.5 branch. Today some very
important extensions don't. While more and more old school extensions
are getting lost, too few new extensions are being developed for TER.
Tried developing the extbase way myself, but didn't succeeded because of
lack of documentation or help in forums or mailing lists. Today we have
markers, TemplaVoila (which is excellent), a little bit Fluid while
beeing a little bit pregnant with Extbase - not knowing where this ship
will be heading for.

For me it is not the problem to learn new paradigms, but to acquire
information about the very basics, like documentation.

I'm in the lucky situation of not being dependant on TYPO3 projects
only. But thousands of other professionals are - and time will tell how
many will be sticking to TYPO3 in the end, whenever it will be and
whatever it will mean.

The concept of FLOW3 and Fluid is excellent, but Zend Framework or
others are excellent too. Was there really any need for another full
grown development framework or would a module or two for an existing one
have done the same job? Why not use Doctrine from the very beginning?
It's mature, reliable and under permanent devolpment. I'm not talking
about simple things, like changing localization files from XML to XLIFF
- that's peanuts. Currently I don't see any real strategies for TYPO3. I
spent my last 3 month in the migration of TemplaVoila funtionallity to
Fluidtemplates and extbase based FCE replacements. Parts of the results
are working properly, others are not, mainly when it comes to
localization. I am truly getting tired.

Kind regards,

Thomas Skierlo