[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 Extension Manager

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Nov 30 13:41:07 CET 2012

Hi,

On 30-11-2012 12:27, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> But I do not see why we would need a different EM from 4.5...
> The one from 4.6 was worse but the EM, coded by Karsten, was great.

The EM from 4.6 was already introduced in 4.5. This had a few problems:

- the frontend was ExtJS and we have not enough knowledge about that in
our community
- the backend was mainly new classes encapsulating the old code (that's
the very short version); it was hard to find your way around this code

The EM from before 4.5 and the EM from 4.5-4.7 both had a number of
problems in common:
- many features where targeted to developers; this was either confusing
for non-developers (code warnings, etc.) or useless for non-developers
- extensions with dependencies took too many steps to install; you had
to keep confirming downloading and installation of dependencies.

The main problem with both EMs was that it was too hard to modify them.
For the pre-4.5 EM this was probably because too much was added over the
years and the code was not according to current standards. For the
4.5-4.7 EM it was the combination of the encapsulated old code (which
probably was waiting for refactoring) and ExtJS.

Of course the EM 6.0 has it's own bugs and of course there are features
missing, but it is a new base to add those features to. Also, it's back
to its core business: managing extensions.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!