[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 utf-8 issue

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Thu Nov 29 22:20:04 CET 2012

Hi hinterindien at gmx.net,

Beforehand: Please create a new topic for a new issue. This makes it easier
to keep track of the issues. You replied to a previous mail and therefore
this mail is hidden deeply inside the old thread.
Please setup your email client to use your full name for the TYPO3 mailing
lists.

hinterindien at gmx.net wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I am just checking out the new baby typo3 6.0. Most of the stuff is
> working so far, but upgrading from 4.5 all german umlauts in BE and FE are
> broken.

Most likely, you have the wrong charset in the database.
There is a long wiki article about this:
http://wiki.typo3.org/UTF-8_support

> in the old localconf.php we had the line:
> $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['forceCharset'] = 'utf-8';
>
> which is now translated to:
> return array(
> 'BE' => array(
> 'forceCharset' => 'utf-8',
> ),
> in LocalConfiguration.php
>
> This seems really staightforward and no source of a possible mistake...

The configuration is already removed with TYPO3 4.7.

> Is there any other new place, that could affect utf-8-handling?

Yes, many: DB, DB connection, FE TS setting

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!