[TYPO3-english] New mailing list for meta discussions (was: Re: Rebranding: Get the green back)

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Wed Nov 14 13:18:14 CET 2012

Hi Tolleiv, hi all!

I decided to take the discussion into a new thread, as it has nothing to
do anymore with the logo change.

Am 19.10.2012 09:54, schrieb Tolleiv Nietsch:
> so now is the time to start a poll for the new name of the newsgroup
> right? Or would you decide that on your own?

To be honest, I was convinced that I could create it without asking
anyone as everyone seemed to appreciate the idea.

Now unfortunately, that's not the case.

I've waited very long with answering to this thread as I have seen it
grow very quickly. That can be frustrating and didn't really motivate
me to get into the discussion again (the same applies for the LTS
discussion which is incredibly huge already). It's definitely a
point in which I agree with you: The discussions won't get any better or
easier to overview if they are held on a new list, as long as the
discussion culture doesn't change.

However, the new list should not be made to fix that. It would rather
make it possible to involve more relevant people (which we should expect
to follow that list, of course).

Just some examples of whom I am thinking:
- Team leaders
- Community members
- Board/BCC/EAB of the TYPO3 association
- Event organizers, brand managers, etc.

Take this discussion as an example. Martin started it because he wanted
to get feedback from the originators of the Orange-only logo. It was
simply not noticed by Rasmus until someone told Rasmus to have a look at
it. In many other cases, the person in charge would not even do that
because he doesn't want to follow typo3-english which is among those
lists with the highest traffic. You just can't expect everyone to follow it.

There is another discussion going on right now on typo3-core which again
is not noticed by a lot of people as they don't feel the need to read
typo3-core. An about list could fix this.

The majority (that I have talked to) would welcome a typo3-about list,
whereas there's always someone who doesn't like it. You could take any
decision that was made: If we'd consider all opinions, there would be no
decision at all.

So I'm wondering how to proceed here as we not seem to agree about it.
In the end, someone might just do it, it would probably hurt for a
while, but after some point everybody would accept it as normal.
I don't want to do this and would prefer to find consensus.
So again, here's my suggestion:

Goals:
- Have a low-traffic list for meta discussions
- Have those people listed above (and more) follow the list
- Try to avoid flamewars and too lengthy discussions

Actions:
- Drop t3a-about (which exists already but doesn't provide newsreader
and forum access)
- Create typo3-about instead
- Write a news post, invite people like those listed above
- Write a list of house rules that help to keep the goals

What do you think? If you would like to help to not get this into a
lengthy discussion (again), reply to my private inbox instead of
answering to the list. I'm also available on Skype (stucki_ch) if that
is welcomed.

Greetings, Michael

PS: First time ever that we're discussing so much if a new mailing list
is good or not. If it is not good, people just won't use it and it will
use relevance. If it is good, then it will fit the goals that I've
listed above, and I think that is something that everyone would welcome.

--
Michael Stucki
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!