[TYPO3-english] is TYPO3 for me

Patrick Schriner patrick.schriner at diemedialen.de
Wed Nov 14 11:38:18 CET 2012

Extbase / Fluid allows for fairly simple extension development. Moreover
in a lot of cases you can get away without writing any SQL yourself - but
you have to except the tradeoff (ORMs will never have the same performance
as optimized queries).

Fluid templates are a lot more powerfull than classic TYPO3 templating for
extensions, as you can put some logic into the templates themselves (loops
EG). Tbh in some cases it has failed me (mostly: building an array in
fluid out of variables), but not to the point of being unnerving.

In general Extbase suits better to more modern PHP approaches -
encapsulation, abstraction, TDD or unit tests in general - than classic
pi_base Extension development. Most Extbase extension we write tend to be
a lot nicer (code-wise) and more maintainable then classic extensions.

Regarding Neos - I have never used it - but I would never suggest /
recommend using a 1.0 release if you are not of the adventurous kind.
Around the end of next year with the probable 6.2 release there might be a
good reason to switch to Neos as 6.2 will (by removing the compatibility
layer for missing namespaces) break most of the old extensions anyway (if
I'm not missing a point).

--
Patrick Schriner