[TYPO3-english] to (t3)blog or not

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Wed Nov 14 07:52:27 CET 2012

Hi Gour,

>> maybe you can help improving it in next months (it is really well
>> lead developed by George Ringer).. and studying it you'll get to know
>> how Extbase & Fluid works
>
> It took me some time to figure out that you speak about 'news' and not
> 'tt_news' extension, although now I see that tt_news has newer (April,
> 18th 2012) release (beta). :-)

For someone not in depth with TYPO3 I agree this is not easy :)

On one hand we have the legacy EXT:tt_news, very popular and extended in
(far too) many ways by other extensions to do virtually anything. I
don't consider this extension to be "really" supported anymore. It uses
some deprecated function calls since a few versions and an update fixing
obvious problems is (afais) released after some pressure (due to its
popularity). This is very well understandable.

On the other hand we have a very young successor, EXT:news which is
state-of-the-art way of programming with Extbase & Fluid and should be
promoted when it comes to having news for your website, even if tons of
(old) articles suggest to use EXT:tt_news, as explained.

As EXT:news is actively developed, you may (should?) consider using the
development version you can retrieve from Forge [1], our central
platform for TYPO3 development.

Wish you a great journey with TYPO3

Kind regards

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/projects/extension-news/