[TYPO3-english] to (t3)blog or not

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Mon Nov 12 15:01:56 CET 2012

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:52:49 +0400
Dmitry Dulepov <dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Performance: even if you use just one widget, t3blog will render them
> all. So, if you have a single view, you will still render list,
> categories, rss, calendar, etc. The output of unneeded widgets will
> be discarded.

OK...some useless work is done, but I hope it's still not choking the
whole site?

> Customization: t3blog was made to be used with its own theme. If you
> try to use it outside of that theme, you can run into various
> unpredictable issues.

Hmmm...this is more serious. Does it mean that to apply the
'common' (for the whole site) theme to t3blog section is not
straightforward?

> t3blog was made as an exercise by somebody, who started to learn
> TYPO3 programming. As often becomes in the open source world, it went
> public later as a full extension. It can be used despite problems
> with architecture. But I would advice to use it only if you use many
> widgets and ready to use a provide page TS code. I tried to improve
> t3blog when it came to my hands by its architecture cannot be changed
> without a complete rewrite and that was not my assigned work. So I
> just fixed the most bleeding pieces here and there.

I see...thank you for clarification.

> You can do better with tt_news/comments pair. They worked very well
> for years on my own site before I migrated to Blogger. You do not
> trackbacks and pings but it is not necessary for a successful blog.

Does the above combo miss some other 'standard' blog functionality
besides trackbacks/pings?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The spirit soul bewildered by the influence of false ego thinks
himself the doer of activities that are in actuality carried out