[TYPO3-english] to (t3)blog or not

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 13:52:49 CET 2012

Hi!

Gour wrote:
> His pro points are the ones which I really like, and from the cons I
> wonder about the 'peformance' and (especially) 'customisation is hard'
> items?

Performance: even if you use just one widget, t3blog will render them all.
So, if you have a single view, you will still render list, categories, rss,
calendar, etc. The output of unneeded widgets will be discarded.

Customization: t3blog was made to be used with its own theme. If you try to
use it outside of that theme, you can run into various unpredictable issues.

t3blog was made as an exercise by somebody, who started to learn TYPO3
programming. As often becomes in the open source world, it went public
later as a full extension. It can be used despite problems with
architecture. But I would advice to use it only if you use many widgets and
ready to use a provide page TS code. I tried to improve t3blog when it came
to my hands by its architecture cannot be changed without a complete
rewrite and that was not my assigned work. So I just fixed the most
bleeding pieces here and there.

You can do better with tt_news/comments pair. They worked very well for
years on my own site before I migrated to Blogger. You do not trackbacks
and pings but it is not necessary for a successful blog.

--
Dmitry Dulepov

Simplicity will save the world.