[TYPO3-english] is TYPO3 for me

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Sun Nov 11 10:31:09 CET 2012

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 19:18:46 +0100
Philipp Gampe <philipp.gampe at typo3.org> wrote:

> Most of those people have never understood the core concepts or have
> simply given up after installing, because TYPO3 CMS does not come
> with a one click and go button.

:-)

> This is by intention, because TYPO3 CMS understands itself as
> "enterprise content management *framework*".

I just hope it does not require enterprise hardware to run. :-)

> > I did install it on my server, and I must say that it looks quite
> > good.
>
> Great :)

6.0rc1 also seems to be a bit snappier (by feeling, not benchmarked) and
replacing Apache with lighttpd helped as well, but I'll try to install
nginx and try with it.

> TYPO3 is not really suitable as a real blog, but there is a very good
> news extension (called "news"), which is really really powerful.
> Combine it with one of the comment extensions (e.g. "comments" or
> "dialog") and you are almost there.

Good. I'd really like to keep blog/news 'cause I'm not very fond of
FB/Twittert (actually terminated my accounts).

> Pingback/Trackback is not supported AFAIK.

That's OK not being essential.

> Note that google maps is not completely free anymore, but only for
> the first x requests.

Interesting...did not know that. They also recently killed weather data,
so maybe it's time to investigate about OSM.

> There are extensions for google maps, but I do not know how good they
> work.

OK.

> You can get piwik support with "piwikintegration" or you can run
> piwik standalone and just include the HTML/JS snippet.

I already run standalone Piwik, but it's nice there is some integration
available.

> Do that with piwik for that or set up TYPO3 CMS to redirect download
> links though jumpurl. You can get the most reliable numbers by
> parsing the webservers logfile :)

Well, at the present moment we have counters displayed in the front-end.

> You can not really do a full document management like with MS
> Sharepoint, but you can get really for with DAM.

Don't know about Sharepoint 'cause I am not seriously using MS since
Win-3.1 (when I used it under OS2) and just have WinXP under vbox for
few apps.

> There are a bunch of shop extensions, but if it gets more complex
> than a handful of products, then you better use a real shop system
> instead of TYPO3.

No, handful of 'products' or services we offer is everything we need,
iow. nothing really demanding.

> Try the extension "seminars". You might also look at "cal", but this
> is a monster extension, targeted at typoscript experts.

It's great there are so many 'bricks' which might cover all of our
present needs.

> See the inline comments. It all depends on your skills. Everything is
> possible, some stuff might be easier and some stuff as pretty taff.

:-)

> 256MB should be fine.

With nginx deployed instead of Apache, it seems our virtual hardware
environment will provide enough juice for TYPO3. :-)

> > Based on what I read and heard, it seems that one can accomplish a
> > lot just by using Typoscript without the need to go low-level and
> > write extension in PHP? Is it true?
>
> Yes, but creating extensions with the "extension_builder" is fun too.

Interesting...I'll check it out.

> You can mostly get along by configuring some PHP arrays and some
> simple functions.

Wonderful.

> AFAIK most bigger sites moved to a nginx+varnish combination. In
> general, TYPO3 CMS does not depend on a specific webserver.

I was jsut thinking about converting mod_rewrite .htaccess rules since
many CMS-es abuse it a bit making it more difficult than really
required.

> Look around, but the rewrite rules a really simple:
> Strip any number in front of .js and .css (you can turn that of and
> use get parameters).
> Redirect everything not in fileadmin/ typo3 /typo3conf /uploads to
> index.php
>
> That's it.

I heard (and confirmed) yesterday that TYPO3 is using nginx, so there
should be decent support for it already. ;)

> Most of them should. TYPO3 CMS 6.0 has a full compatibility layer
> just for backwards compatibility.

This is great to hear..

> You will find some common things, but Neos is a complete rewrite.
> The Neos TypoScript has been greatly extended and (AFAIK) works a bit
> different.

Only 'a bit different' meaning my present investment in learning
TypoScript won't go in vain?

Afaik, Neos won't be ready for production before end of next year?

> It depends a little what kind of knowledge you mean. Extension
> programmers can use quite a lot from the extbase and fluid coding,
> but you will not be able to reuse that many integration skills.

This is not 100% clear to me, but, maybe, it is not so relevant at this
point.

> You will need some time to get into it.

Sure...this is required for everything new one wants to master.

> It really depends how much customization you need (pro TYPO3 CMS) and
> what your basic programming skills are.

I graduated computer engineering many years ago and learnt several
programming languages (Fortran, Pascal,C(++)..) and played a bit with
Haskell. Now I plan to learn Ada for my desktop project...I'm familiar
with OOP concepts (mostly Python), so I hope I can learn some PHP to
make my TYPO3 experiences more enjoyable.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Those who are on this path are resolute in purpose,
and their aim is one. O beloved child of the Kurus,