[TYPO3-english] (TYPO3) Surf as official product?

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Tue Nov 6 10:13:38 CET 2012

Hi.

On 04.11.12 18:59, Steffen Gebert wrote:
> Why is Surf not a product of people from our community, like all the
> extensions are? What are the steps for a product to be called "TYPO3
> <whatever>"? We come from a CMS community and have a PHP framework now
> (which is nice, of course :-)), and we get a deployment tool, and.. ?

First of all, as a motivational background bit, Neos is not "just a
CMS", but comes with some needed bits of infrastructure / ecosystem
everyone needs eventually. That's why we think Surf makes sense - we
needed a tool to deploy Flow applications and Neos sites.

Second: it is a product of the community, why would it not be? We - you,
me, they - are the community, no? I sense a feeling of "why is my stuff
not as important", "why is that better"… don't go that way! ;)

On naming: only "official" stuff may use the TYPO3 namespace and only
things using the TYPO3 namespace may use the TYPO3 brand as part of
their name.

On being official: Like in the old days, if something is maintained by
the core team, thus not depending on a sole developer for survival, is
important enough, of adequate quality, … it is "official".

On being a product: Whether something is a product or not, depends on
it's "standalone usefulness" obviously. And on whether it makes sense to
market it as a product.

To sum it up using Surf: it is maintained by the core team (Christopher,
Robert, Tobias, Sebastian, …), it is important and of adequate quality.
Thus it uses the TYPO3 namespace and may be called TYPO3 Surf. We
*treat* it as a product, because it can be used for Neos, Flow and CMS
deployments - as well as things not even related to TYPO3. But, no,
there is no website for it yet, we do not *market* it as a product so far.

Compared to Fluid: Definitely official, yes. Uses the name TYPO3 Fluid.
Not a product yet, because it cannot yet be easily used outside the
TYPO3 universe.

Future? I see five products currently: TYPO3, Neos, Flow, Fluid and
Surf. They are not yet all "products" - but I do not see any more on the
horizon right now. YMMV.

That's how I would sum it up - it would be good to refine those points
and put them up somewhere for everyone to read. But, please, let's not
overregulate it. Common sense will get us a long way, before we'll
actually have the first problem with any of this.

Regards,
Karsten

Disclaimer: When I say "we" I mean the people I work with in the project
on a day to day basis. If you feel included and are offended by that,
keep it to yourself and ignore that fact.

--
Karsten Dambekalns
TYPO3 Core Developer, Neos / Flow Team

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!