[TYPO3-english] question about " Flexform"

Peter Niederlag peter.niederlag at typo3.org
Mon Nov 5 08:54:32 CET 2012

Hello,

On 05.11.2012 03:13, tom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is Flexform? I googed it, but hard to get the definition of it.
> Thanks.

Flexforms are basically an XML presentation of $TCA information (Via
$TCA you define a mapping between a relational table/field storage and
it's GUI/Logical presentation as a FORM to the browser).

With Fleforms you can define such a mapping(and thus a visual FORM)
inside *one* database field. This enables you to (re-) define the forem
without any changes to the underlying database scheme.

<cite TYPE: "flex" >
Rendering a FlexForm element - essentially this consists of a
hierarchically organized set of fields which will have their values
saved into a single field in the database, stored as XML.
</cite> [1]

My strong suggestion is to first get some experience with $TCA [1],
before you start getting into fleforms.

[1]
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/core-documentation/doc_core_tca/4.6.0/view/

Greets,