[TYPO3-english] gifbuilder and trademark symbols

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sat May 26 22:02:42 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 26-5-2012 20:25, Simon Browning wrote:
> Is it possible to have the gifbuilder render trademark symbols (the TM
> or R)? We're replacing one of the stdheaders with a graphic, and I've
> spent a couple of hours trying to get the symbols to show up, but can't
> seem to make it happen.

This is a bit vague description. Any code?

There is a known bug in PHP's GD library with OpenType fonts which
renders utf-8 characters incorrectly. With one of my OpenType fonts the
(R) symbol is displayed as fi-ligature and the TM symbol is displayed as
a [X].

With TrueType and Type1 fonts the symbols, diacriticals, etc. are
displayed correctly. As far as I could determine this has to do with the
JIS-mapped Japanese Font Support. Unfortunately there isn't a workaround.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!