[TYPO3-english] is TYPO3 moving away from global extensions?

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Fri Mar 30 19:11:50 CEST 2012

Hi Sergey Alexandrov,

Sergey Alexandrov wrote:

> Hi Philipp,
>

> On 3/29/2012 9:26 AM, Philipp Gampe wrote:
>> Because a symlink can link to a different version:

> Please don't tell you do this on your production server. As an example,
> I do remember the serious security hole in phpadmin extension
> which allowed to do nasty stuff even ext. was not installed.... I don't
> really want to keep old versions of anything on the production server.

What is the problem? If somebody has write access the change the symlink,
the has write access for the web files too ;)
But I would remove old versions once I change the symlinks.

>> And inside your typo3conf/ext/, you can then link to a specific version.
>
> Yes, I can ... so I have 100+ sites, 100+ extensions .... 1.000+
> symlinks, right? Very easy to maintain ;)

A shell script does not care about 2, 3, 300 or 5000 :)

Anyway, if you want to have a global folder again (it has not disappeared),
I suggest to not have this in the source, but expect such a folder either on
web root (I dislike this) or in as something like typo3conf/globalext/ which
then can be a symlink out of the web root, into you sources folder.

> Also, I have a number of extensions developed for particular clients -
> that's what I want to keep in their "local ext." folder
>
>> Updating all of them is then a matter of changing the symlink which can
>> be automated with a shell script. Depending on the update, you must
>> change DB or even templates anyway, so you have to touch each
>> installation manually. And if you don't, then just use a shell script
>> like above.
>
> No, I don't have to ... if I see DB changes during ext.
> updating/upgrading (sure on the dev. server) a simple php
> script helps me to walk through all databases and alter/add new
> tables/fields if necessary.

What is the problem of using the same script to change the symlink?

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!