[TYPO3-english] is TYPO3 moving away from global extensions?

Sergey Alexandrov serg at alexandrov.us
Fri Mar 30 15:09:38 CEST 2012

Hi Philipp,

On 3/29/2012 9:26 AM, Philipp Gampe wrote:
> Because a symlink can link to a different version:
>
> So you can have something like:
> Sources/
>    Extensions/
>      News/
>        1.0/
>        2.3/
>        2.4/
>    Core/
>      4.4/
>      4.5/

Please don't tell you do this on your production server. As an example,
I do remember the serious security hole in phpadmin extension
which allowed to do nasty stuff even ext. was not installed.... I don't
really want to keep old versions of anything on the production server.

> And inside your typo3conf/ext/, you can then link to a specific version.

Yes, I can ... so I have 100+ sites, 100+ extensions .... 1.000+
symlinks, right? Very easy to maintain ;)

Also, I have a number of extensions developed for particular clients -
that's what I want to keep in their "local ext." folder

> Updating all of them is then a matter of changing the symlink which can be
> automated with a shell script. Depending on the update, you must change DB
> or even templates anyway, so you have to touch each installation manually.
> And if you don't, then just use a shell script like above.

No, I don't have to ... if I see DB changes during ext.
updating/upgrading (sure on the dev. server) a simple php
script helps me to walk through all databases and alter/add new
tables/fields if necessary.

> Additionally, the typo3/ext/ directory is inside the source which should be
> write protected. The is a conceptual bug which would need to be tackled
> anyway. That means using typo3/ext/ is strongly discouraged.
For sure, the whole TYPO3 source, including global ext. folder is
read-only on my servers, no one allowed to install global extensions but me.

>> We also have 100+ websites running off the same source. "Global"
>> extension installation has some advantages and ext. maintenance is the
>> one of them.
> But they do not share a common localconf.php, do they? The installed
> extensions are specific for each installation and as such belong to
> typo3conf/. Using symlinks, you can share the extension source the same way
> as the core source.

With one exception - you need one symlink for the core and  N* for any
extension installed (I explained above)

>> How do you update/bugfix an extension if there are hundreds of them
>> installed locally? So, you'll have to put ext. in  the same folder for
>> diff. sites, right? And create symlink, right?
>> But we already have this functionality as "global" ext. folder! Why jump
>> through the loop?
> Because the global folder is inside the source and you force the same
> version on all of them.

You wouldn't keep running 100+ sites off the different versions -
maintenance/upgrades and so on will consume all you time.
Only latest version, or at least patched (RedHat way). And that's why i
rise both my hands for LTS :)

Cheers,
Sergey