[TYPO3-english] is TYPO3 moving away from global extensions?

Philipp Gampe typo3.lists at philippgampe.info
Thu Mar 29 14:32:14 CEST 2012

Hi RDE Wiesbaden,

RDE Wiesbaden wrote:

> Xavier Perseguers schrieb:
>> Hi Rudi,
>>> Why is using global extensions no longer recommended?
>>
>> The big problem is that the global ext directory is part of the sources
>> of TYPO3 whereas it should be separated.

>> There is a "genius" way :) you can use local mount points with a line
>> like that in your /etc/fstab:

Nice trick ;)

> this suggestion is ok as a suggestion,
>
> but please, let this be our decision, if we like to install extensions
>
> (1) as common global extensions
There is not point of you use different versions of TYPO3. Most likely you
will either accidentally break an installation upon extension update or you
end up running with old/outdated/insecure extensions. The core devs will not
support you with either of those.

> (2) or redundant local extensions

Just use a symlink. That way you can even have multiple versions for
different projects.

> and please try to fix the Bugreport Bug #34465

IMHO this one should be set to wont fix, because I think if somebody wants
to install extensions globally, he should move the sources by hand. This is
nothing an average integrator should do.

> We need to continue our websites and cannot and
> will not change the environment by accident.

How can you change something by accident if everything is local? There are
no unwanted site effects if you install extensions locally. Only if you use
global extension, you might run into trouble.

> If the developers continue these ways of changing running systems,
> TYPO3 will loose more and more participiants.

We do not change your system. We create new version and sometimes drop
deprecated functions.

Ever wondered why Linux (like most Unix systems) mostly have symlinks in
/bin and /usr/bin?

I do not see a single point in having global extensions that would justify
the many problems you get with this approach.

Best regards
--
Philipp Gampe – PGP-Key 0AD96065 – TYPO3 UG Bonn/Köln – linkvalidator