[TYPO3-english] How do you translate a website correctly?

Oliver Salzburg oliver.salzburg at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 22 13:46:20 CET 2012

Until yesterday, I thought I had a pretty clear idea of how to do multi-
lingual sites in TYPO3. But I'm really having a hard time wrapping my
head around core parts of the concept now.

To try some stuff out, I installed a 4.6.6 Introduction Package.
The only translated page is "Any language, any character" (25).

So, I want to hide the content in the right column in the Danish
version. If I do that and visit the frontend, I now get the English
content in the right column.
That is to be expected (I guess) as sys_language_mode is set to
content_fallback.

So, what now? How do I get that content to be hidden in the Danish
version?

I know! I set sys_language_overlay = hideNonTranslated!

That's great but brings me to another issue.
Now I have to translate *everything*. Even content elements that I just
consider "structure".
For example, I'd have a tt_news plugin with 8 translations for every
single language, even though nothing is changed in those translations.
The *actual* translating happens in the news records.

So, no matter how I do it I run into a weird issue that just yells
"You're doing it wrong!!!". So, what's the *right* way to do it?

Cheers
Oliver