[TYPO3-english] browsebox in indexed_search still not working

Patrick Schriner patrick.schriner at diemedialen.de
Fri Mar 9 12:40:19 CET 2012

Hi Stephan,

tbh I don't like indexed_search that much, and think it's not in the best
of shapes.
First time I had to use it, I spent months to get it where I needed it.
E.g. that whole concept of: If you use user groups, than you need a
configuration for every possible configuration is aweful. DAM support is
terrible too. But - all that can be solved - because it's open source, and
fixing / adjusting things *is* possible.

Regarding the output of indexed_search: As that is a known issue, there is
ongoing effort on forge (http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-search)
to provide a new, Extbase / FLUID based frontend that is more accessible
as well - and to use fulltext support when possible (another MUST if you
have many pages & a large index). You might want to take a look at that
project's progress.

It does help to watch firebug / dragonfly and the likes for Javascript
errors.

Btw: Solr is an awesome alternative, but sometimes tricky / picky to setup
as well.

Sorry that you had such a rough experience with indexed_search.
There are parts of TYPO3 that are in less-than-ideal shape and can cause
frustration when first encountered, but imho the same applies to any
larger project (e.g. Eclipse is excellent as a JAVA IDE, but the WTP is in
part pretty bad).

Patrick