[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 at the corner? How is it possible

Andi cocopapa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 17:19:34 CET 2012

Hi Jigal

Thanks for reading my post to the end ;-).

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 8, 2012, at 21:00, Jigal van Hemert <jigal at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 8-3-2012 13:28, Jacco van der Post wrote:
>> Op 8-3-2012 13:15, Jigal van Hemert schreef:
>>
>>> More nice graphs! Can you please make one of peugeot.com, citroen.com
>>> and ferrari.com together? And compare that with the sales figures
>>> (number of sold cars) of those brands, please?
>>
>> Why the lame joke?
>
> No lame joke at all. I'm dead serious. You try to prove with a graph of the visitor stats of a couple of websites that TYPO3 is less popular than other CMSs.
> I ask you to compare the visitor stats of the websites of three car manufacturers to see which of them is the most popular.
> You'll see that ferrari.com has a few dozen times more visitors than the other two. We both know that this is not the same as the sales figures of those brands.
>
> My point is that all these graphs and statistics don't prove what you want to prove. You can't measure the number of installations by looking at the visitor statistics of a web site or the search terms of Google.
>
> Joomla for example is often used for small sites; sites built by volunteers who seek the information on the web site.

Well the biggest Thai Website was TYPO3 and ran for years until 2006 with 3,5. Now it is Joomla and growing since than even much faster.

> TYPO3 sites are often built by agencies / freelancers who know the product. The larger clients (companies, government bodies) don't care about the system, they want a working website.

The large clients like government dont care so much about finances. They can simply afford TYPO3.

TYPO3 Website Packages you can see
advertised in Germany. are often the same price like they are here for Thai Baht but have the same quailty and featuresets and often better support.

But even here a site for 20.000 EURO sold here for 20.000 THB (500 EURO) has still major problems to get more TYPO3 sites running here locally.

Here is Flash, Joomla and Handcoded Html and Php county.

Agencies in ASIA and I think same in Germany etc are using CMS like Joomla because they have tons of templates available, while we here just started to get this also for TYPO3.
http://templates.kay-strobach.de
Great Job Kay!

People are using Drupal because devs dont want to dig into TYPOscript before even having a look at it.

Others are using Contao. lots Wordpress, Modex because they have some similar features like TYPO3 in the Backend - Pagetree, only want to blog and do eCommerce tomorrow, or like the flexible build in way of templating.

Only a few of them know that they can have the same even much better with TYPO3 and ie the Framework for Templavoila or March8 or FEDext.

>> I didn't mention Wordpress, neither do I think Drupal is meant only for
>> simple sites. Neither do I think these graphs are very important.
>
> Why did you twice (!) link to a graph to prove your point? And you are not the only one who tries to use these graphs and statistics to prove that things are really bad. In most cases I've seen the basic data is just incorrect.

What really brought us here most local customers is SECURITY. Show your customers a vulnerability and its fixes comparrison. This is the real big plus in comparison to all other CMS mentioned. Here it seems to be fun to hack websites and for Joomla you find even tools online to check where to get into a Joomla website.

Joomla Vulnerabilities usually mention a good solution: Hack the source code!

Drupal same.

TYPO3 has by far never such a dangerous suggestion and provides fixes usually right the way.

Another great point is the Reusability of a website for later versions.

In Joomla and Drupal it was mostly impossible to upgrade without setting up your complete website more or less from scratch again as the core had been modified by previous devs.

Ok we had also TYPO3 websites from TYPO3 devs and even so called TYPO3 agencies where this was the case but the vast majority of sites are running since many years some even simce TYPO3 3.6.1 very successfully because they have been updated regularly.

As A longterm investment there is simply no other FREE CMS which offered such high continuity since many years. Unfortunately this changed a lot when TYPO3 4.3 came out. Suddenly it looked for customers as if they are used as testing dummies like they knew it already from microsoft and co.

Since.4.6.1 this had fortunately mostly stopped and updates dont break so much anymore like from 4.3 to 4.6.0

> TYPO3 is certainly not the right tool for each and every web site. There are many situations where other solutions are a better fit for the requirements.
>
>> But there are some critical points in the discussion on Buzz which
>> really need some attention.
>
> I agree. On the other hand a lot of responses were off-topic (discussing T3A budgets for example) or over reacting a "bit" (claiming that TYPO3 would be destroyed).

Yes such discussions are harming a lot snd destroying trust in a very proven system. Customers came and simply asked us when would be the best time to switch to Wordpress, Drupal or even Joomla. If this happens it would destroy a lot of effort and success we had here to make TYPO3 more popular.

What is harming the most is actually the fact that there a new website project since 2007 made with developers from well known agencies and portfolio but they are not capable in more than 5 years to get this new site and the better TER up and running. Yes I am counting myself in here to for jobs we did for this project until mid 2008.

A good website would stand out and would be the best advertisement. Instead many things are meanwhile "outsourced" T3blog" t3pages etc.

All those good initiatives brought together on ONE TYPO3.org website would be best for us all here.

> People who want to improve things (in the broadest sense) are always welcome to become active. It may take a few attempts to find the right person(s) and sometimes there will be criticism. But the criticism also means that those people are passionate about the subject.

This is exactly the point. It might take a long time to find the right person. And than - even you thought you have found him or her than out of a sudden you realize that your ideas you shared with them are now used for their own benefits!

On the other hand you can also get very frustrated when all the hours you have already invested in ideas for TYPO3 are vanishing away after snowboard tours special mailing or typo3.org announcements. Or Leaders can't accept to be simply a somple Team Member.

> It would be nice if those discussions would show a bit of respect for everybody involved (not accusing you in person!).

This would be nice! But even better would be to involve the community in a democratic and informative style much more and not like happened nearly every year with some new "major changes for TYPO3" after the snow board tours in the past and now again.

Andi