[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 at the corner? How is it possible

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Tue Mar 6 13:34:04 CET 2012

> Backporting refers to "keeping Extbase and FLOW3 in sync" (as well as
> each their own version of Fluid)? We should imho do that discussion in
> the repsective teams. To sum it up, it has lately been agreed upon that
> we need to get the cooperation between both teams more together.
> But having them diverge too much is not a solution either imho. So we
> need to find a way for cooperation and the "backporting" which you think
> is counterproductive (I tend to have a slightly different view - though
> it might be hard work from time to time).

As long as we do keep just these two components (extbase and fluid) in
sync, I would not call this "backporting of features" but the usual
bugfixing. Of course this is necessary and of course there should be
cooperation between the teams. And of course I don't think that
backporting as such is counterproductive.

But in case of ExtJS and the caching framework we got premature stuff
with lots of performance problems and blocking bugs forced into the
TYPO3 core just because some people thought it would be cool to do
things the way the Phoenix guys do it. Today the Phoenix team has
stepped back from ExtJS, but TYPO3 still has to struggle with all the
problems that we had to buy with it.

Instead of improving existing things regarding their usability during
the User Experience Week, there were tons of untested new features
pushed mainly due to the enthusiasm about the upcoming v5. Some people -
including myself - have been there and tried to prevent it, but were
more or less ignored.

The result were huge performance problems especially for the target
group the T3 marketing people are aiming at: Enterprise clients.

So what I would like to get is a less enthusiastic but more careful and
professional way of thinking about those "backports" before pushing them
into the core of the product that currently still pays the bills for all
of us. If things are backported, they should always be optional so that
people can activate them on demand and test them in the wild.

This is for example.why our grid elements extension, although it is the
consequent enhancement of the backend layout feature which has been done
on request, is based on existing hooks only and does not require any
core patches or XCLASSes. So the core can stay stable and reliable but
the new feature can still be tested and might be merged into the core or
added as a sysext when it has proven to be as stable and reliable as well.

Maybe this is something we could discuss at the T3DD?

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de