[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 at the corner? How is it possible

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Tue Mar 6 12:59:58 CET 2012

On 03/06/2012 12:52 PM, JoH asenau wrote:
> Am 06.03.2012 10:59, schrieb Tonix (Antonio Nati):
>> Speaking only about numbering (and marketing), I don't see why two
>> different (and incompatible) CMS should have same name and versions
>> schema.
>>
>> So, I agree, due to the confusion made from announcements, TYPO3 V5
>> could be jumped, specifying clearly everywhere:
>>
>> TYPO3 v5 version will not exist, given the ambiguity of previous
>> announcements.
>> TYPO3 v6 will be the logical prosecution of TYPO3 V4.
>> Phoenix V1 (or whatsoever name) will be the forked CMS project based on
>> FLOW3.
>>
>> OR (better)
>>
>> TYPO3 v5 will be the logical prosecution of TYPO3 V4.
>> Phoenix V1 (or whatsoever name) will be the forked CMS project based on
>> FLOW3.
>
> Well - I just see another product created from scratch on a completely
> different code base. So no reason to use the word everybody seems to be
> so afraid of - since it's actually not a FORK at all.
>
> But we should try to keep it that way and stop "backporting" features
> from one product to the other, since this has been proven to be
> counterproductive in the past.

[...]

Backporting refers to "keeping Extbase and FLOW3 in sync" (as well as
each their own version of Fluid)? We should imho do that discussion in
the repsective teams. To sum it up, it has lately been agreed upon that
we need to get the cooperation between both teams more together.
But having them diverge too much is not a solution either imho. So we
need to find a way for cooperation and the "backporting" which you think
is counterproductive (I tend to have a slightly different view - though
it might be hard work from time to time).

Regards,
 Stefan