[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 at the corner? How is it possible

Bernd Wilke t3ng at pi-phi.tk
Tue Mar 6 12:09:03 CET 2012

On 03/04/2012 03:45 PM, Boris Hinzer wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I would like to open up this thread to move the discussions referring to
> this article:
> http://buzz.typo3.org/people/xavier-perseguers/article/typo3-60-at-the-corner-how-is-it-possible/
> away from buzz.typo3.org to a place where it's not that visible to a
> broad audience.
>
> IMHO the discussions now going on as comments underneath the buzz
> article could seriously harm TYPO3.

I (tried to) read this thread and get all the ideas and views.

As far as I get all the discussions the problems seems to be that two
differnt things should have the same name, which can't work.

let see the developement:
TYPO3 has been developed in versions like this:
  :
3.8

4.0

4.1

4.2

4.3

4.4

4.5

4.6
  :

beside that a new project has been started to get a new CMS, called
'Phoenix'
at the start that should be TYPO3 5.0. as the start was long ago and the
'actual' version of TYPO3 was about 4.1/4.2

at the moment, some years later we have TYPO3 V4.6 and nearly 4.7 and
Phoenix (for me) is far away from being TYPO3 as we know it.

over many years we stay with a 4 as major release number and the magical
number 4.9 comes near (and maybe some are afraid of 4.10)
staying still with the major release 4 is bad (for customers) as TYPO3
has changed a lot but could not comes higher as 5.0 is still occupied
with phoenix
in my point of view going to 6.0 will make a total chaos as we will have
two products with the same name and different versions which mixed sequence!

as we will update phoenix what numbers should it get? 7.0?

my view of a possible timeline:
TYPO3    Phoenix
  :
3.8

4.0

4.1
  |        (5.0)
4.2         |
  |          |
4.3         |
  |          |
4.4         |
  |          |
4.5         |
  |          |
4.6         |
  :

  :
6.0         |
  |          |
6.1         |
  |         5.0 (release!)
6.2         |
  |         5.1
6.3         |
  :

  :
7.0         |
  |         5.8
7.1         |
  |         8.0
7.2         |
  :

and as a serial of versions:

3.8 TYPO3
4.0 TYPO3
4.1 TYPO3
4.2 TYPO3
4.3 TYPO3
4.4 TYPO3
4.5 TYPO3
4.6 TYPO3
  :

5.0 Phoenix
5.1 Phoenix
  :
5.8 Phoenix

6.0 TYPO3
6.1 TYPO3
6.2 TYPO3
6.3 TYPO3
  :

7.0 TYPO3
7.1 TYPO3
7.2 TYPO3
  :
8.0 Phoenix

=:-O

what we need are different names to these different things.
as we all are proud on the name TYPO3 we have to distinguish the two
versions like different products from the same manufacturer

we will need to free TYPO3 V5 from being Phoenix (or vice versa?)

maybe we have to name both(!) products in a new way. for example:
TYPO3   -> TYPO3 Kasper
Phoenix -> TYPO3 MVC
and each will get its own (continuing) versioning.

we may skip TYPO3 ??? 5.0 at all and changing the versioning scheme to
that of ubuntu may hide the jump, but others have skipped some numbers too.

The most important thing: get the names apart and get consecutive
version-numbers

just some thoughts
bernd
--