[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 at the corner? How is it possible

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 6 07:52:39 CET 2012

Hi,

On 6-3-2012 0:57, Roberto Presedo wrote:
> reduced to a simple commercial item… But, what I try to explain is :
> customer doesn't "need" to know which numbered version it is… It can
> be TYPO3 "Whatever" … Behind this codename, we can use TYPO3 v6.0.0
> without fear of "loosing" people… Here, the real challenge would be to
> agree on a theme of codename (pets, danish villages, historical
> figures, …) :)

That's something that can always be added. It's more a marketing thing
(not saying that it is not important). I personally prefer to have
"TYPO3" as the umbrella name and add new products under that name (like
"TYPO3 [some new name] 1.0".
This is a bit similar to what was done with Apache in the past. It
started with the web server Apache and later other products were added
to the Apache name (Apache Solr, Apache Tomcat, etc.).
But this is more part of the issue what the [some new name] will be called.
I'm sure there will be much more debate about that in the future :-)

The version number is also needed for technical reasons. Extensions can
state that they are compatible with a certain range of TYPO3 versions.

To see which version is the latest and which versions are supported we
have a version matrix [1]. That is not going to change, so it will still
be pretty easy to see what is the latest (stable) version.

> Then about having a Phoenix v1.0 project (hereinafter called [some new
> name]) I am a bit worried about the impact that its TYPO3's
> separation can have when we'll have to move from TYPO3 to [some new
> name]. Like Xavier says in his post "So, while it never was really
> official, it became clear that the 5th point of the Berlin Manifesto
> (ed : "Migration of content from TYPO3 v4 to TYPO3 v5 will be easily
> possible") would not be met." And that's the main problem.. As part of
> a web agency which main activity is building websites based on TYPO3,
> we'll face a problem when we'll have to sell the "migration" from
> TYPO3 to Phoenix… As this is not going to be an easy and smooth
> operation, customers will be tempted to ask themselves : "Well, do I
> move to Phoenix, or do I take a look to the others solutions of the
> market… Because after all, this means to start everything from
> scratch."

At first v5 was thought of "just" a technical rewrite of the core where
most things like content and extensions would stay more or less the same
or they would need limited changes.

On the other hand there is an obvious need for migrating content.
Although it might not come with the core of [some new name] I'm sure
that there will be people who will start an effort in providing
migration tools.

Just look at the extension "news" (by Georg Ringer). He wanted to create
a modern alternative for tt_news. Of course people would ask how they
could use the hundreds or thousands of tt_news records they already
created in the past. And suddenly it contained a migration tool to
convert tt_news articles and categories into articles for "news".

The same will very likely happen for [some new name]. Version 1.0 will
not have all the features everybody wants to have, but I'm sure that
some smart person will make a migration package/extension. As other
packages/extensions for news, guestbooks, calendars, etc. will be
created these might hook into such a migration tool and provide means to
convert old TYPO3 structures into data for [some new name].

At first you won't migrate existing websites to [some new name]. It will
be used to create new websites or complete relaunches from any other
system (including TYPO3) where only specific data is converted.
Once [some new name] is becoming feature complete and enough packages
are available to have similar functionality as the old website, it will
become easier to migrate. There will still be a lot of manual labour
left; think of templating, user rights management.

[1] http://typo3.org/download/packages/

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.