[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 at the corner? How is it possible

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Mon Mar 5 23:26:03 CET 2012

Hi Kay,

> What i do really hate on that discussion is the fact, of leaving a
> number out. Why not changing to Ubuntu style of release numbers, this
> would be a very clear step, without confusion:
>
> 	e.g. Release        12.04
> 	     BugFix Release 12.04.1

It may look like the decision was made up at T3BOARD in the mountains -
but it was certainly not. We thought about lots of different
alternatives (also the one above) but we chose this one out of many.

I don't quite get why you and a few others have such a big problem with
that version number being left out.

I've seen the example of Apple MacOS at least once (by Mathias) in this
thread. Now have a look at Wikipedia and see how Apple skipped 3.2
before releasing 3.3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

There are quite some other nice examples of products mentioned on this
page, I recommend reading it.

My conclusion is that it will be a lot easier for all of us to accept
that a version is skipped rather than explaining an interested customer
the Ubuntu naming scheme, or why TYPO3 5.0 is something different than
what we talked about for the last five years...

Greetings, Michael

--
Use a newsreader! Check out