[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 at the corner? How is it possible

Tonix (Antonio Nati) tonix at interazioni.it
Mon Mar 5 17:37:59 CET 2012

Il 05/03/2012 17:25, Mathias Bolt Lesniak, LiliO Design ha scritto:
> Hi Markus!
>
> I'm both a developer and business (i.e. marketing, client relations) guy, so I'm seeing this from both sides. I've been working with TYPO3 since 3.6.x.
>
> I think this question is closely related to the community (or the lack of it), and the version issue can't be discussed without looking at things more broadly.
>
> The T3A clearly needs to take a step back and look at itself from the outside. The new web site is late, the new CMS is late, people don't feel they can trust what they hear, etc. I love FLOW3, but I've stopped directing clients to typo3.com or .org (I use t3blog.com instead)! I believe rewriting the TYPO3 core (into FLOW3/Phoenix) is the right thing, but I believe the focus is too much on the future, and too little on what needs to be ready right now. A colleague from the Drupal side says TYPO3 seems too perfectionistic. So perfectionistic, in fact, that nothing seems ever to be finished. Food for thought. :-)
>
> This seems to be reflected in the communication too: Decisions must be clearly communicated. As others have mentioned, Robert's blog is not the place for that kind of communication, but it's not only Robert's task to make sure the information gets out.
>
> Xavier's reply to Milicev's e-mail another place in this thread is symptomatic of a different kind of issue:
>      Question: "How to explain to the 62 year old guy, director of the board, where v5 vaporized"
>      Answer: "Just point him to the articles..."
> Sorry, but that's plain disrespectful! No TYPO3 agency is going to live long if it just asks the clients to read these kind of articles. TYPO3 is there not ultimately for the agencies, but for their clients. With Xavier's attitude, TYPO3 will die: Agencies won't be able to sell the product, no matter how good it is.
>

> To conclude, these are important points for me:
>      - Keeping on changing names and numbers is bad PR. Don't do it!
>      - A clear five year plan is needed for all TYPO3 related projects.
>      - Phoenix must also be called TYPO3, or people will think it's two different things.

People must think thay are different things!

I feel Flow3/extbase to be a big mistake, both as architectural and team
visions, so it would be more correct if people which loves Flow3/Extbase
makes his own CMS, instead of breaking a working one.

So please, keep TYPO3 away from FLOW3, make your PHOENIX/FLOW3 CMS and
we'll stay all happy.

Regards,

Tonino

>      - Version numbers should continue straight into Phoenix. (No Phoenix 1.0, please.)
>      - Like from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X the switch to Phoenix should be the next natural step, and maintaining both cores should only be done for a finite number of years.
>      - Resources should be spent on making TYPO3 look better from the outside. (More money to PR)
>      - Although TYPO3 is "free" I'm not against paying a voluntary fee per site to sponsor TYPO3 development and PR, as long as projects don't linger in development for ever (so I can show clients what they pay for).
>
> I agree with you, Markus: It's now or never!
>

> PS! As a member I also have a job to do, but although I travel to Switzerland more than most Norwegians, I've never managed to attend a GA, where I imagine many important issues are discussed. I've refrained from voting because I feel I lack the ability to suck up all the information that is necessary to make up an informed opinion. It's hard to keep an overview from here. I'm sorry about that, but I know I'm not alone with this problem. I'd like to be more involved, that's for sure. If I only knew there was a process on changing the version number, I hope I would have been good enough to leave my feedback before it was too late.
>

> Best wishes
>
> Mathias Bolt Lesniak
> LiliO - www.lilio.no
> mathias at lilio.com
>

> On 5. mars 2012, at 12:46, Markus Lindbergh wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I would like to hear your opinion about this situation.
>> Both from dev and business side.
>>
>> I am in TYPO3 world for 4 years now partially as developer, partially
>> as entrepreneur ... and I would really like to hear what is the strategy of
>> core team and all this version v4 / v5 / v6 thing.
>>
>> I feel it is now or never for this CMS.
>>
>>  From my side, v4 to v5 migration path was good but too slow and confusing
>> for lot of developers...and still I do not know how typo3 will look like in
>> year or two. Will we have 4.xyz thing or finally v5
>>
>> BR,
>>
>> ml
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Boris Hinzer<webmaster at web-vision.de>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> I would like to open up this thread to move the discussions referring to
>>> this article: http://buzz.typo3.org/people/**xavier-perseguers/article/**
>>> typo3-60-at-the-corner-how-is-**it-possible/<http://buzz.typo3.org/people/xavier-perseguers/article/typo3-60-at-the-corner-how-is-it-possible/>away from
>>> buzz.typo3.org to a place where it's not that visible to a broad audience.
>>>
>>> IMHO the discussions now going on as comments underneath the buzz article
>>> could seriously harm TYPO3.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Boris Hinzer

         Inter at zioni            Interazioni di Antonio Nati
    http://www.interazioni.it      tonix at interazioni.it