[TYPO3-english] YouTube videos with media element

Lorenz Ulrich lorenz-typo3 at visol.ch
Tue Jun 5 20:06:27 CEST 2012

Hi everyone

I compared the handling of 4.6 and 4.7 to get one step further in this
problem:

- TYPO3 4.6 has a flag "Use Player (Flash only)". When this is checked,
TYPO3 tries to play a video with the Flash Player.

- This "TYPO3 Media Player" (contrib/flashmedia/swfplayer.swf) cannot
play YouTube videos.

- Unchecking the Player checkbox in 4.6 sets the YouTube/v URL itself as
player (typo3\sysext\cms\tslib\content\class.tslib_content_media.php, l.
188). The YouTube player is correctly rendered then.

- The option to deactive the player is missing in TYPO3 4.7. Therefore
the YouTube player itself will never be rendered and YouTube videos
cannot be played with the Media element in 4.7.

Can someone confirm that?

I just googled about using the FlowPlayer to play YouTube videos. But
obiously this is only possible with a commercial plugin
(http://flowplayer.electroteque.org/youtube). So basically my conclusion
would be that we need to have back the SWF rendering with the YouTube
SWF as player.

Side note: Funnily Vimeo videos seem to work...

Thanks for sharing your opinions on that.

Best regards,

Lorenz