[TYPO3-english] Upgrading 4.5.16 LTS

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Jul 17 09:36:22 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 16-7-2012 20:59, Stewart Cruse wrote:
> I am upgrading from 4.5.16 to 4.5.26. What do I do. All I saw in the
> upgrade instructions were backup files by ftp and back up database. Then
> what?

As explained by Richard Davies this is a simple bugfix-release upgrade
(only the last number changed). Unless stated otherwise in the release
notes, it is sufficient to swap the TYPO3 sources and you're done.

If you have a linux/unix environment you can use the following steps
after going to the command line on the server:

- cd to the directory where TYPO3 is installed. If you do a
ls -al
you would see directories like fileadmin, typo3temp and symlinks like
typo3_src which points to typo3_src-4.5.16

- download the new TYPO3 sources:
wget get.typo3.org/4.5
(this gets the latest 4.5 version; you could also ask for a specific
version)

- unpack the sources:
tar -xvf typo3_src-4.5.26.tar.gz
you now have a directory typo3_src-4.5.26; you can remove the download:
rm typo3_src-4.5.26.tar.gz

- switch sources:
rm typo3_src
ln -s typo3_src typo3_src-4.5.26

Done. If the upgrade is successful (everything works) you can remove the
old source directory.

> Is there an upgrade download? Do I just install the new version. Why isn’t
> there a simple upgrade button?

Would have been great to have such an option in the Install Tool. It's
quite complicated to support all kinds of installation types and
operating systems. Main reason for not having it is that there is no man
power to build it.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member