[TYPO3-english] Upgrading 4.5.16 LTS

Richard Davies richard at ocular.co.nz
Mon Jul 16 23:53:25 CEST 2012

Hi Stewart,

Typo3 versions have three parts to them. This one is 4.5.26.
I forget what the proper word for the 4 section is, lets call it the
'version of Typo3'. It represents major functionality changes to Typo3,
where most extensions are expected to break on changing versions. We've
been on 4 for a while.
.5 is the major version of 4. This means sites will generally function
between the major versions, if you use the upgrade tool in the install tool
after changing the files over. Old extensions that aren't maintained very
well may not work when upgrading between major versions.
The .26 is the minor version number. Generally these are security/bug fixes
and no 'upgrading' is necessary, just switch out the typo3 source files and
it works. Have only had one or two minor issues upgrading our ~20 or so
Typo3 installs between minor versions.
Always read the release notes for each new version and decide if any of
them are going to affect your install(s). In my opinion, if you are running
any sort of secure content on your website and have issues upgrading Typo3
(and are having problems with "fighting hacker and
rogue programmers") I'd highly recommend having someone do upgrades for
you.

Richard