[TYPO3-english] Reviewing the new Template Building Tutorial

Philipp Gampe typo3.lists at philippgampe.info
Tue Jan 31 11:24:25 CET 2012

Hi Bernd Wilke,

Bernd Wilke wrote:

> On 01/30/2012 08:31 PM, François Suter wrote:
>> Hi all,
>
>> Please report your comments, findings, remarks, etc., in answer to this
>> post, so that the discussion can take place here.
>>

> | Inside the folder template/ in this extension you find a set of
> template files.
> a beginner may not know the organization of files inside TYPO3
>
> either lead them to create these files by hand or support with a
> complete set of files at the correct place.
> As I initiated a similar attempt years ago [¹] I used a t3d-import (with
> a tutorial to include it in the side). This attempt has yield to the
> extension mastertemplate which also moves the data to the correct place.

This might be an option. That way the user also learn to know the
import/export function.

Although, for this very basic template, I suggest to just let the user
create the file by hand.

> all Typoscript in one TS-Template in the root-page?
> ouch :(
> I saw too much installtions with one TS-template with more than 500 lines

Well, we plan a series of templates, including more advanced solution too.
Each template should be relatively short and be easy to follow.
For this very first template experience, there not the need to explain a
more advanced template setup.
This could be part of a second template showing how to build advanced
templates, including on how to organize yourself (best practice).

A third could be the introduction to automaketemplate, a fourth how to build
the Introduction Package. Other could cover templavoila (basic and
advanced), fluidtemplate, fedext, etc.

> don't stay with a
> | Note: Tell about systematic working: ...
> start it from the beginning!

Well, there is already TS in 45 minutes. We should try to focus and have a
set of small but specific guides/tutorials for the various topics.

> the document seems far away from release.
> I hope this thread will push it forward.

That is the intention. We are mostly advanced integrators and as such have a
hard time to understand the problems and barriers for the beginners.

@all Maybe we should put the text into notes.typo3.org? AFAIK it does not
support images, but we could leave them in the wiki or forge and just put
the file name in the document.
This could help getting faster results.

Thanks for your feedback.
--