[TYPO3-english] multilingual Search

Historia historia1 at historia-web.de
Tue Jan 31 09:11:37 CET 2012

Thanks a lot.

I am working with CMS for 12 years but I am not real system
administrator and there is already the issue of installing solr and
Tomcat on my server. I will need a quiet week to install that and test
it. I have it already on my two local machines, but I have to update my
servers to php 5.3 before I will go to install solr.

For me solr is absolutely oversized. I have a few dozen searchs per hour
on all my websites combined. Therefore another solution would be fine
for me. I also read that I have to adapt the search conversion tables.
Amharic has 4 different "h" characters and 2 different "s" and 3
different representation for vowels. So it will be a long development
process for the solr technical basis to make it even usable.

Typo3 is also working with utf-8 and I solved all other issues with
that. The standard search is working easily, but I find no recent
configuration manual for that. The problem is that I am working with a
newsslider and the standard search is only going for tt_content. So I
have to extend that. But that will be much less work and have the same
reward for me.

indexed search somehow converts the utf-8 tables in something which
doesnt show properly in the backend. I always wonder how they do that
with cyrillic, greek, persian, thai, chinese or japanese. There should
be the same issues.

At the moment the project is realized with indexed search in the english
version and standard search in the amharic version.

Herbert