[TYPO3-english] Special Characters in RTE

Richard Davies richard at ocular.co.nz
Mon Jan 30 07:27:32 CET 2012

Hi all,

We currently need support for the character ā (&#257) in at least one
website. I've been looking through the TSREF documentation, rtehtmlarea
documentation and can't find anything too helpful. Cases:

If I put &#257 into the database directly, something in Typo3 transforms
the & to & in the output so it doesn't display the character. I've
tried to turn off the RTE transformation in pageTSconfig with
RTE.default.proc >
I have also tried to remove
RTE.default.proc.exitHTMLparser_db = 0
I've tried turning off htmlSpecialChars in entry and exit as well. I'm not
100% sure it is the RTE exit that is specifically escaping the &, however I
may have had the TS wrong. I put this in the pageTSconfig for the base
page, do I have to apply it to all pages?

However, I'd also like to be able to allow the user to add the character in
the RTE. If I put &#257 into the code view and save, it works fine, however
if I change back to the WYSIWYG view, it transforms it (and the source) to
ā. Saving causes an 'error, probably mismatch between..'.

I'd really appreciate some help on this, I'm sure I've missed something
obvious.

Thanks
Richard